Domestic Goddess my arse!

These are the recipes I'm good at... quick, simple, out of the store-cupboard and onto the plate fare. I never spend more than 30 minutes faffing in the kitchen. So there.

This will be my recipe & homemadey remedy diary.

If you have those 'OMG! It's lunchtime and all I've got is a parsnip and a packet of boil in the bag rice.' moments, then you're a kindred spirit and you know that bad planning is often the mother of great food. So welcome to fast slurpy soups and 'really?' salads made from what's left in the fridge.


Never, ever believe there isn't something wonderful to make from the last 3 ingredients in your kitchen. Unless those ingredients really are fairy liquid, eggshells and dead flies.

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Sacreligious Porridge

I eat loads of porridge, and I don't have the time or the inclination to stir stir stir every morning - or the will to deal with the pots mid morning either. So I do it like this - and I implore you to have a go before you dismiss it out of hand.

All those of faint heart or traditional sticklers turn away now...

In a microwavable bowl (oh yes!) put:

  • 1/2 cup porridge oats - any will do but I like to use big organic flakes 
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 x teaspoons raisins
Now sling it in the microwave for 2 mins on high. You can adjust the proportions of juice and water once you get the hang of it. I do it all by eye now. If you like a creamier porridge then just use milk and water or all milk.

After you fish the porridge out of the machine, you can add more stuff. Please take care of your paddy paws - it'll be hot and hot things first thing can be tricky.

I chop in bannana or blueberries and sometimes some toasted sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Toasted sesame would be lovely and you can use honey too if you like - then there's yoghurt, fromage frais, creme frais to consider.

Porrige is excellent stuff - and it will keep you going until lunchtime. 

In the summer I soak my porridge overnight and dispense with the microwave - which makes it super quick and easy before work. 

Make a big pot of good coffee or your favourite tea and you are ready for ANYTHING I tell  you... 

No comments:

Post a Comment