Domestic Goddess my arse!

These are the recipes I'm good at... quick, simple, out of the store-cupboard and onto the plate fare. I never spend more than 30 minutes faffing in the kitchen. So there.

This will be my recipe & homemadey remedy diary.

If you have those 'OMG! It's lunchtime and all I've got is a parsnip and a packet of boil in the bag rice.' moments, then you're a kindred spirit and you know that bad planning is often the mother of great food. So welcome to fast slurpy soups and 'really?' salads made from what's left in the fridge.


Never, ever believe there isn't something wonderful to make from the last 3 ingredients in your kitchen. Unless those ingredients really are fairy liquid, eggshells and dead flies.

Thursday 20 October 2011

Sweet potato gratey burger matey

Last night we had beef burgers from the butcher. (I warmly recommend you try your local butcher's burgers and saussies there is no comparision with the flaccid meat-pops you buy in the supermarket. So there!)

I flung together a swee potato rosti/tortilla that was so delicious I'm posting it here so I remember it next time. It's not really a rosti because it doesn't really go crisp but it isn't a tortilla either because you do grate the potato - I'm calling it a rostilla. You can call it Frankie.

 Warning: You will need two frying pans to flip the rostilla. Be bold my friends.

What I had in my kitchen:

1 large sweet potato
1 egg
big knob of butter
small onion
olive oil

What I did with my spud

  • I peeled and grated the sweet potato(on reflection I should have left the skin on, ah well)
  • I finely chopped a red onion and sweated it in a knob of butter
  • In the meantime I squeezed some of the liquid out of my grated spud (I don't use kitchen paper, I use a clean linen teatowel. You can use muslin if you are a really well equipped cook).
  • In a big pan I part fried the spud in a little olive oil (I don't think you need to do this but in the interests of authenticity I'm sticking to my haphazard approach).
  • When the grated potato softened - I mixed it with the onion and an egg (or two if you like) 
  • Then I poured the mixture into a preheated small frying with a little oil and fried it
  • To flip the rostilla I used a second preheated nonstick pan larger than the first one and I just whopped the rostilla over into the fresh pan. It's the quickest way I've found for anything in a pan that needs to be done on both sides.
Practice makes perfect. Enjoy - and don't worry if bits get a bit 'over done' the sweet potato is a very forgiving vegetable and goes all caramelly and lush if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment