Domestic Goddess my arse!

These are the recipes I'm good at... quick, simple, out of the store-cupboard and onto the plate fare. I never spend more than 30 minutes faffing in the kitchen. So there.

This will be my recipe & homemadey remedy diary.

If you have those 'OMG! It's lunchtime and all I've got is a parsnip and a packet of boil in the bag rice.' moments, then you're a kindred spirit and you know that bad planning is often the mother of great food. So welcome to fast slurpy soups and 'really?' salads made from what's left in the fridge.


Never, ever believe there isn't something wonderful to make from the last 3 ingredients in your kitchen. Unless those ingredients really are fairy liquid, eggshells and dead flies.

Tuesday 3 September 2013

More Spelt & Fish | Salmon

My experiments with spelt continue. We're loving the nutty, chewy taste & it plays really well with nuts and beans. This is a little dish of loveliness I knocked up after scoring the most beautiful, fat, creamy avocado at the grocers. 

I think this recipe would also work with pearl barley which is a more hum drum ingredient & costs way less. 

Yummy Stuff 

Big cup of pearled spelt (it's the quickest to cook)
Stock paste or cube. I used chicken paste @1tspn.
1 red onion chopped
Handful of walnuts bashed 
Handful sunflower seeds 
Handful pumpkin seeds
8 black olives chopped

Packet French beans topped not tailed
Salmon fillets (I had four small ones @300gms for the lot)

Olive oil, rapeseed oil, soy  sauce, lemon juice.

Cooking it right nicely

Wash the spelt a few times before putting it in a saucepan with 3 cups of water. (have a kettle of hot water on standby to keep adding if the water gets absorbed - treat it like arborio rice). Put the pan on a medium heat, it'll take around 20 mins to cook. Which is plenty of time.

Put the onion in a large wide pan & sweat using some olive & rapeseed oil. Set aside. 
In the meantime, toast the pumpkin & sunflower seeds. Set aside to cool. 

In the onion pan place the fish skin side down & cook for@6 mins.
At the same time pop your green beans in a steamer or sieve over the spelt (top it up if you need to)

Flip the fish for a couple of mins. 

When the fish is cooked assemble the dish.

Mix the onion, toasted seeds & olives with the cooked spelt. 

Chop the beans & stir into the spelt. Spoon onto your plates. There's plenty for two big appetites with generous leftovers. 

Chop the avocado & divide between the two plates - on top of the spelty mixture. Add the fish & dress with lemon juice & soy.

Scoff!. 

I added oregano to the spelt & stock while cooking, I'm not convinced it added anything. I think chilli would definitely work.

I'm going to have the left over spelty, seedy, beeny mix with some crumbled feta & chorizo for lunch tomorrow.

This is packed with omegas & perhaps would be even better for you served on a bed of fresh spinach. 

I forgot to photograph it before we ate it


No comments:

Post a Comment