I have many friends who are complete Goddesses in the kitchen. Megsie is an Australian Kitchen Witch - Check out her fantastic natural lifestyle blog Accidental Earth Mother >> Megsie has been making these little beauties for years, she claims she found the recipe in Aunty Barbar's Sunbeam Mixmaster Cookbook from 1961 - as she says... they are vintage gold.
Dearly beloved we must gather together:
7 oz/ 200g butter
2 1/4 cups or 300g plain flour
1/2 cup or 65g corn flour or rice flour or potato starch
1/2 cup or 65g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Who'sa what now?
1. Beat butter and vanilla until soft on low speed. (If you are a lazy Maisie using equipment - otherwise get a kid to do it.)
2. Add icing sugar gradually on low speed. (Hmm now I'm thinking you might need yer magimixitupgood machine).
3. Increase speed and beat until light and creamy.
4. Fold in sifted flours on low speed.
5. Turn onto lightly floured board and roll out to 5mm thick (1/4″)
6. Cut with cookie cutters or cut into strips
7. Place on greased tray
8. Bake in barely moderate oven for 15-20 mins or until very light golden.
9. Cool and decorate.
Megsie's favourite addition to these gorgeous Shortbreads is dark chocolate, she makes them with heart shaped cookie cutters and dips one side in chocolate - which sounds like a damned good idea to me. Just enough time to make a few batches of these in time for Christmas.. y'all.