Domestic Goddess my arse!

These are the recipes I'm good at... quick, simple, out of the store-cupboard and onto the plate fare. I never spend more than 30 minutes faffing in the kitchen. So there.

This will be my recipe & homemadey remedy diary.

If you have those 'OMG! It's lunchtime and all I've got is a parsnip and a packet of boil in the bag rice.' moments, then you're a kindred spirit and you know that bad planning is often the mother of great food. So welcome to fast slurpy soups and 'really?' salads made from what's left in the fridge.


Never, ever believe there isn't something wonderful to make from the last 3 ingredients in your kitchen. Unless those ingredients really are fairy liquid, eggshells and dead flies.

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Mart's Summer Sunshine Juice

My friend Mart is off on another of his juice odysseys. His first was inspired by the documentary made by Joe Cross - Fat  Sick & Nearly Dead - which is on TV this week. It's a great watch and after stumbling across it on you tube, Mart did a long juice feast himself with the blessing of his doctor - who incidentally has been amazed at his success. He's lost weight, come off any number of pills and improved his health massively. 

So now he's setting out to lose some weight in advance of an important operation in September.  This time, I thought I might support him in a more practical way - than just yipping on his blog* each time he loses a llb!


So here is my first attempt at a lovely juice for lovely mart x.

Summer Juice for Mart@.

This one is all about the sunshine and what's good in the shops right now (July/Aug):


Juicy Ingredients
1 x orange - with all the bitter orange peel cut off & the pith left on!
1 x Royal Gala apple
1 x white flesh nectarine - bit under ripe if juicing - otherwise blend it.
1/4 cucumber
1/2 baby gem lettuce (I used the section closest to the endy bit)
2 stalks of celery
Handful of mint
Ice (optional)

Juice it all - (unless as I mentioned the nectarine is fully softly ripe - then I would chop and add this at the end and blend it).

Pour over ice - or blend with ice if you like. (I don't drink ice cold drinks - so I never bother with fussing with ice).

What's in it?
Vits: A, A1, B1, B2, B3, B5 B6 C, Beta-carotene, folic acid

Minerals: calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iron, zinc, copper, sodium, silica, manganese, selenium

Plus: malic acid, nectin, ellagic acid, pectin

Why's it going to make our Mart zip along like a puppy?

  • anti cancer health promoter, the pectin forms a gel in the intestine that gets rid of toxins
  • destroys free radicals (younger looking marty), scrubs out the intestine and flushes toxins out
  • natural energiser (turbo charged mart!)
  • reduces acidity - useful for arthritis, natural diuretic - so it reduces fluid retention, also calms the nervous system - which is always a good thing no?
  • great for hair, nails and skin and reduces blood pressure
  • boosts saucyness
  • digestif
  • It tastes mental good!
Try it - and see if you like it!
I really hope that Marty does. I'm on a mission to find a really great tasting green juice for him and my mammie too.

Watch this space!

*closed blog space - so I can't share the deets...

No comments:

Post a Comment